Our Statement of BeliefsSt Matthias is part of the Sydney diocese of the Anglican church, and part of the Anglican Church in Australia. We hold to the great Reformation doctrines contained in the 39 Articles of Religion and The Book of Common Prayer.
Our beliefs are well summarised in this common doctrinal statement:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture, as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of human nature since the fall, rendering man subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth of the virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrifical death (as our Representative and Substitute) of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective to the individual sinner, granting him/her repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, as judge of all people.
For a set of Bible studies that expounds and unpacks these nine statements, see The Blueprint, available from Matthias Media.